Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Remembering Grace McCracken

Grace McCracken
is my name and
ireland is my nation
new south wales is
my dwelling place
and heaven is my
expectation when
i am dead and in
my grave and all
my bones is rotten
this little Book
will tell my name
when i am forgotten

Grace McCracken

From the Irish Exhibition at the National Museum, Canberra (March 2011), written in a book. Grace McCraken was one of more than half a million Irish to come to Australian in the nineteenth century. I guess she wouldn't have known that her words have been spilled across the universe.

Today is a special day too. Something happened on 23 March 1940, a collision of sorts eventually resulting in the production of this post. A day to be remembered in remembering others.

No comments:

Post a Comment